Following on the heels of its ISX12 G launch, Cummins says it has begun development of a 15-litre heavy-duty, spark-ignited natural gas engine to meet coming demand for on-highway trucks powered by the cheaper, cleaner and more plentiful fuel.
As with the ISL G and ISL12 G (pictured here), the ISX15 G will be a product of Cummins Westport, its joint venture with Westport Innovations in Vancouver, B.C.
The 12-litre ISX12 G will begin production in 2013 while the 15-litre gas engine is expected to be in limited production by 2014.
The ISX15 G will be based on the ISX15 diesel engine and will build on the same spark-ignited technology used elsewhere in the Cummins SWestport lineup. A simple, maintenance-free three-way catalyst will be the only required exhaust aftertreatment. The engine will run on compressed natural gas, liquefied natural gas or biomethane.
Follow Cummins on Twitter and YouTube.
- 'Blessing of the Pete’ Rekindles Moving Soldier Memorial
- Trucking for Wishes Needs Your Help. And All You Gotta Do is Like Them.
- Trucking Hero: “Something inside me made me stop.”
- Friday Focus: Driver Wages and The Driver Shortage
- Trucking Alliance Tells Carriers to Take Responsibility for Driver Shortage