CALGARY — Trucker Baldev Grewal lost his life on Friday pushing a colleague out of the way of a swerving SUV, reported CTV.
The Abbotsford truck driver and father of two was standing on a median in Calgary with his colleague Balwinder Sidhu when a vehicle veered off the road towards them.
In his six years of driving for Chohan Carriers Ltd., Grewal had earned a reputation for his generosity and eagerness to help out, CTV reported.
"Whenever we needed him to do something for us, whether it was a favour or to pick up someone else's load, he was always there – no questions asked," said Chohan safety manager Parm Sihota.
Grewal was a proud truck driver, coworkers told local media, one who took pride in the condition of his truck, had a meticulous approach to his work, and always had a smile on his face.
"It takes a lot for someone to save somebody else's life and just give up his own," Sihota told CTV. "Yeah, he's a hero."
Chohan Carriers say they have set up a trust fund to support Grewal's wife and children. He leaves behind one daughter currently attending university and a young son.
The company has set up the Baldev Grewal Trust Fund at the TD Bank Canada, transit number 92750, account number 92756091656.
- 'Blessing of the Pete’ Rekindles Moving Soldier Memorial
- Trucking for Wishes Needs Your Help. And All You Gotta Do is Like Them.
- Trucking Hero: “Something inside me made me stop.”
- Friday Focus: Driver Wages and The Driver Shortage
- Trucking Alliance Tells Carriers to Take Responsibility for Driver Shortage