How to Get Carriers' Safety Data Info
WASHINGTON, DC — Want to get the goods on the competition? It's now easier than ever.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) upgraded Safety Measurement System (SMS) website is now live and can give you access to carriers' Behavior Analysis & Safety Improvement Categories (BASIC) ratings, inspection history, violations and other details.
The SMS site is where carriers and the public go for safety performance data the agency uses to determine which carriers pose a risk and need to be investigated, under its Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program.
To access the site click here or:
- Go to http://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/;
- Click on SMS results in the menu bar at the top of the site;
- Use the search function to find a carrier;
- Click on the carrier link for details.
The FMCSA is even hosting webinars to explain the changes to the new site and how to use it.
The webinars will be on:
- Aug. 20 10-11:30 a.m. (EST);
- Aug. 20, 2-3 p.m. (EST);
- Aug. 21, 2-3 p.m.