Top 7 Canadian Carriers to Drive For
ALEXANDRIA, VA — Canadians do trucking well, we’ve always known that, but now there’s even more proof. Seven of 20 companies named the best fleets to drive for by the Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and CarriersEdge are Canadian.
Congratulations for the Canadian carriers who made it to the top 20:
• Bison Transport, Winnipeg, MB;
• Brian Kurtz Trucking, Breslau, ON;
• DJ Knoll Transport, Emerald Park, SK;
• Kriska Holdings, Prescott, ON;
• TimeLine Logistic International, Saskatoon, SK.;
• Transpro Freight Systems, Milton, ON;
• Trimac Transportation, Calgary, AB.
Canadian carriers Drive Logistics from Windsor, ON and Erb Group of Companies from New Hamburg, ON also made their way to the best fleets to watch list.
Chris Burruss, president of TCA, commented: “Each year, I am more and more amazed at the innovative programs these fleets are implementing, regardless of their size. And several of the Best Fleet winners are also in contention for TCA’s National Fleet Safety Awards, so clearly these are not just nice places to work - they’re also safe.”
The contest recognizes the best working environments for company drivers and owner-operators and is open to for-hire fleets in the US and Canada. Fleets recognized among the Top 20 range from 25 trucks to 8,500.
“The biggest trend we saw this year was a shift to mobile technology. Most companies are using smartphones and tablets to deliver information to their drivers, and some are even developing their own custom mobile apps,” said Mark Murrell, president of CarriersEdge, the contest’s administrator.
The fleets nominated were evaluated based on the following categories:
• Total compensation package – including base pay, bonuses, vacation and sick day allotment
• Health benefits
• Pension plans
• Professional development opportunities, such as training, coaching programs, etc.
• Career path and advancement opportunities
• Commitment to employee personal growth, including work-life balance, driver family support, and employee-directed charitable contributions
• Commitment to continuous improvement, including dispute resolution processes and inclusion of driver feedback in policymaking
• Team building and driver community development activities
• Annual driver turnover rate
• Fleet safety record