Posted: August 1, 2014
LOUISVILLE — Here are 11 Memorable Lines from the Mid-America Trucking Show floor (and maybe cyperspace):
1. “There are two things I absolutely know for sure. Any number I give you now is wrong. And the real number will be either higher or lower. Those are the two things I know for sure.”
— Martin DaumPresident & CEODaimler Trucks North America, on sales predictions
2. “We anticipate the market to grow through 2013 with the second half of 2013 as good as the first half of 2012.”
— Bill KozekGeneral Manager Peterbilt/Vice President Paccar
3. “Fuel efficiency is becoming the single most important point for truck buyers across the world.”
— Andreas RenschlerHead of Operations of Mercedes Benz but until April 1st, head of Daimler Trucks AG
4. “These people are passionate about more than a truck and an engine. They’re passionate about NASCAR.”
— Jeffrey WallisDaimler General ManagerParts Sales and Marketing
5. “If you don’t have the right displacement engine for your application you’re never going to get where you want to go.”
— David McKennaDirector of Powertrain Sales & Marketing, Mack Trucks
6. “Just a few years ago, we were asking you to cruise down the highway at 1,800; anything under 1,500 and you were gold.”
7. “What we’re looking at is something the I-T guys call a ‘PEBCAK situation.’ It stands for “Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.”
— David A. KolmanTruck driver turned journalist
8. “You just put your own well being aside when there’s children involved.”
— Jason Harte. Harte, of Rogers, Ark., was named Goodyear North American Highway Hero at MATS in recognition of his life-risking rescue of a family of six who were trapped inside a crushed minivan.
9. “Make no mistake about it. China loves America.”
— Edward Song, Managing Director Greater ChinaPaccar China Ltd.
10. “Please tweet responsibly.”
— Brandon Borgna,Manager, Media RelationsVolvo Trucks North America
11. “@JasonRhyno is here interviewing our own Ted Becker. Thanks for stopping by!”
— Michelin Tires, via Twitter, with a very responsible tweet.