Today's Trucking
news Economy

Defence Department Orders 2,000 New Truc..Wait. Never mind

Posted: August 1, 2014

OTTAWA — Last week, three minutes before bids aimed at replacing the Canadian army’s fleet of more than 1,500 medium-duty trucks were due to arrive, the Federal Government cancelled the purchase.

According to media reports, the following statement was issued to the truck manufacturers interested in the purchase plan: “Economic, marketplace and budgetary circumstances have changed since this solicitation process began. Therefore, the government of Canada needs to reassess this procurement to ensure that the right equipment is acquired for the army at the best value for Canada, prior to proceeding with a new solicitation.”

The Defence Department said six years ago that the current 30-year-old fleet needed replacing and that planned to buy 1,500 logistics trucks and 800 commercial vehicles adapted for military use at a total cost of $1.2-billion.

The military’s existing fleet of trucks is said to be rusting and in bad need of new brakes.

According to the Ottawa Citizen, truck builders reportedly took the news of the cancellation nobly.

“Navistar remains focused on supporting the Department of National Defence and the vehicles we currently have in operation with the Canadian Forces,” Dan Webster, president of Navistar Defence Canada, said in a statement. “We will continue to anticipate the mission needs and budget restraints of our allied armed forces to offer new and cost-effective solutions while we look forward to participating in future Canadian vehicle programs.”

You can read more here.

 

Share
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Related Articles
TodaysTrucking
TruckNews